One fine day I was busy with my daily routine work that is when I heard the telephone ring. On attending the call, I heard a sweet voice on the other end saying something in English. No wonder I couldn’t understand a single word. Finally, the lady spoke in a local language through which I recognized her as Rekha (my schoolmate) who was residing in London and had come down to her maternal’ s place. After meeting her I was quite impressed by her transformation in terms of accent, confidence, personality and most importantly the communication skill. She enquired about our old friends and we planned to have a get-together. Finally, the day came when we all gathered under one roof. Each one was asked to introduce themselves with their achievements. That is when I realized the importance of English and Public speaking. Therefore, I decided to enhance Spoken English and personality through Speakwell.
It is said that you will learn the English language faster only when you identify it as an essential tool to accomplish your highest goals.
- Build the right attitude to learn English: You need the right attitude to improve your English. Look for every opportunity to practice speaking, like talking to people at parties, approaching a foreigner who looks lost, or just putting up your hand when your teacher asks a question.
- Be a good listener: Being a good listener can help you to see the world through the eyes of others. It enriches your understanding and expands your capacity for empathy. It also increases your contact with the outside world by helping you improve your communication skills. Good listening skills can provide you with a deeper level of understanding about someone’s situation and help to know what words are best to use or which words to avoid.
- Think in English: This is a great way to improve your spoken English, and you can do it anywhere, anytime. At home, you can talk to yourself while doing everyday tasks like preparing a meal. If you are on the train or bus, then describe the people around you (in your head, not aloud!), and when you go to sleep, go over the day’s events in English
- Record yourself speaking: Even though you might not like hearing your own voice, this is a very useful way to find out what’s wrong with your spoken English. Record yourself speaking and then listen to the tape, or ask a native speaker for some advice. Look for positive things, too. Make a note of all the things you do well when you speak English
- Practice tongue twisters: Tongue twisters are helpful at improving enunciation and diction. Enunciation is knowing how to project a certain word in a certain context. Diction is knowing the way you deliver, which includes pronouncing certain prefixes, suffixes and where to place stress on certain parts of words. They are also beneficial in learning to write properly, as you can hear certain word patterns within the phrase or sentence, as well as grasping rhythm and syllable.
- Learn how to paraphrase: Paraphrasing is when we repeat what we have just said to make it clear to the listener or when we repeat what the other person has said by using different words.
- Learn about sentence stress. Sentence stress refers to the word or words we stress in a phrase of a sentence. When we stress a word, we help the listener understand what is important. If we stress the wrong word or don’t stress the keyword, the listener may get confused or not realize what is important in the sentence
- Vocabulary enhancement:Vocabulary Enhancement recognizes that having a good vocabulary is essential for confident Its main aim, therefore, is to boost your confidence, particularly in the skills of speaking and listening, by helping you to remember vocabulary and use it in better context.